Thursday, September 13, 2007

Third time lucky?

I have been trying to get started with a blog for quite some time. The first time was a year ago, with my sis urging me to start writing again. I gave in, not realising that what seemed easy 15 years back, became quite daunting now. So after I enthusiastically set it up and worked on my template for a long while, just to get that perfect look.... I let go, quite easily, I must say.

The second one, I began a few months ago, with my sister-in-law. This was supposed to be a collaborative project with anyone in the family contributing. Or so, thought Srid and me. 2 months down the line, there is just the one entry by Srid, borrowed from Steve Jobs. Thanks Steve.

So, we start again. So what should I write about? Should I restrict myself to a topic or two? Or let loose anything that comes to my mind. (note to myself: definitely not a good idea, given the randomness of my thoughts and inability to concentrate on any one topic at a time!)

While I ponder on that, let me go check on the milk boiling on the stove, on my way to open the door... maybe I should quickly check on whats happening with the cars at Chennai, did I check with Jin about when his flight lands? Should I get a pedicure done today?

Till I figure that out, I am going to post my mom's recipe for Idli Milagai podi... that I keep forgetting and end up having to ask her for every month. This way, I can always refer to it online.

Idli Milagai podi

1 tbsp white sesame seeds (til)
3 tbsp chana dal
3 tbsp urad dal
1 small piece hing
10-15 dried red chillies ( I usually use a mix of the ones we get in Bangalore that are great for colour and the spicy kashmiri chilli)
Coconut oil




Dry roast the til seeds till they just start turning red. Keep aside. Add 1 tsp of coconut oil and fry the hing. Keep aside, then adding a little more oil if required, roast separately the other ingredients. Cool and grind coarsely all, except til. Add til and salt and grind till you get the texture you desire. I personally, like it a little coarse.

Spice up your idli, dosai with a little powder and sesame oil. It probably even tastes good mixed with hot rice and ghee, have'nt tried that though.

2 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

well i feel honored to be your first comment! that dish looks wonderful but the ingredients are foreign to me. i am so curious...

as for your blog - just keep it up. you're off to a great start.

Ramya said...

Claudia.. Thanks for your encouragement. I really like your blog too and actually have a link to it in mine.

I have translated the names of ingredients- hope that helps.

Urad dal= horsebean
Chana dal: not sure what a common English name for it is, but you can find it in most Indian stores.
Hing= asafoetida.