Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Daddy Strongest!

A year ago, I wrote about how my grandfather's death was extremely upsetting and took me a while to get over it. I can't even believe how naive I was in imagining it to be the worst experience of my life...

A year later, I am unable to even frame my thoughts as I try to get over the sudden death of my dad! My father, and not alive anymore?????? Can it even be possible? Though I was there holding on as his harsh breathing gave way to an eerie silence.... and my part of the world that comprised my parents, sister and me and all our memories just toppled!

I must have been 4 when I remember insisting we walk to the local train station though my parents wanted to take an auto... My dad, good naturedly would grumble saying that 5 mins after we started on our way, I would started moaning about my legs hurting and he would have to carry me all the way. Despite my promises about walking by myself, his prediction would come true and I would be hoisted on his strong broad shoulders! This episode was to be repeated most weekends for a few years till we bought our car! And now, years later, I get the strongest feeling of deja vu each time this story is played out again, only this time by my daughter and husband!
I have had the support of those same broad shoulders throughout my life literally and figuratively, even after his paralytic stroke 4 years ago paralysed his left side. He fought the doctor's grim prognosis and was on his feet in no time, proving where there is a will, there is most definitely a way.

I am most definitely going to miss him, as will my sister and mum.... and all of us for different reasons. He was definitely the rock of the family and his untimely, unwarranted departure from our lives leaves a wound that hopefully only time will soothe away.

1 comment:

Harini said...

at least, both of us are going to miss him for one common reason - that he is our dad.

love you and mom and dad a lot.