Monday, June 02, 2008

Camping in London

It is about five weeks since we left on our Euro-American holiday, five weeks since I promised myself and others that I would write regularly through my travels in Europe and later in the US. Its interesting how the best laid plans always go awry. This trip was well planned (by me), atleast broadly. Somehow after the first week of travel in Vienna and Prague (more about it later), and ever since we landed in London, our plans have been shuffled with the ease of a pack of cards.

We have now pitched our tents (in a rather nice flat) in the vicinity of Hampstead Heath's beautiful gardens and show no signs of wanting to resume our journey. Instead we are plotting the course of our life over a long term (thats 1 year in our vocab!).

I have got Anan settled in a nursery near by, where she spends a few days each week happily playing with kids her age. It works brilliantly for both her and me because its is a break from me from feeding her myself and at the same time moaning about how she does'nt feed herself. Guess anyone can see who the problem is!!

Also gives me time to spend a couple of hours in the gym and get that fit toned body I keep craving for but don't have the will power to put myself through the regime. And another couple of hours to do some reading and writing... (yes dear friend, good news indeed, if my meandering thoughts do interest you!!)

I am missing my dear Shivamma- my right hand back home though- not just for the cleaning and pampering she does to keep me from reality but also for the company. I should write about her sometime, its amazing the kind of lives our domestic help sometimes live, but yet manage to show up cheerful and smiling each morning at work and make our lives so comfortable for a pittance of a salary.

However, I am also enjoying managing my home here, without any interference or disturbance from anyone including the cook, dhobi, courier guys (who call a minimum of 7 times to ask for directions, or is it the address verification guys who do that??)

I realise that I get more creative with my cooking here, trying to rustle up stuff that requires minimal preparation but still passes my stringent requirements of freshness, health and taste. Just have to remember to keep my camera nearby so I can take pictures of the food when its ready and well presented and not when its half eaten!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
good to see you back blogging. have fun at the concert =)

-Rukmini

Anonymous said...

so post some of the new recipes na please!