Saturday, June 21, 2008

Partner 1 and 2?

I got to watch some TV by myself and without distraction a couple of evenings ago, when I went on my solo trip to Geneva. There was a news clip about same sex marriages and same sex parenting. Apparently, in Massachusetts which has legalised it, there is talk about changing the wording on marriage certificates from name of Husband/Wife to read as Partner 1/Partner 2 and on birth certificates of babies from Father and Mother to Parent 1 and Parent 2.
While i do not have any strong views on homosexuality and same sex parenting, I think children have the right to stable protective parenting with either one or two parents. So it should not technically matter if your parents are gay or not. But I cant help wondering how I would feel about being Parent 1 or 2 on my child's birth certificate. I dont think I want to let go of my "mother" title, even on a piece of paper.

No comments: