Sunday, June 22, 2008

Georgie Porgie

We were a bunch of giggling 13 year olds who listened non stop to George Michael and Michael Jackson and Madonna. In our defence, 1. Its was the eighties, 2. we lived in gujju Mulund and 3. these were the most popular artists selling at Telecast, the one and only decent music store in said Gujju Mulund. There was a blink- and-you-will-miss-it period of worshipping the now extinct"NYOKB" or for the uneducated- The New Kids on the Block, but it was George Michael all the way, atleast before he came out of the closet and dashed our teenage dreams.

We had posters of our favourite celebrities on the walls of our rooms or on our wardrobe doors. It helped that Femina had a section for teens, (can't remember the name for the life of me!) with free tear-off posters every month. I would have probably postered all the walls of the room I shared with kid sister, but my grandmom-albeit with blinkered vision (acc to me) but with a stronghold on my mom ensured that said posters were kept to a minimum. Sigh!! Double sigh!!!!!

So gettting back to Georgie old boy, he is currently on what is said to be his last tour ever with the finale being in London. And guess who has good tickets for his last concert ever??? Take a guess or two or ten- C'est moi, bien sûr!!

I am actually going to be cheap enough to mail the other girls , some of whom I am still friends with and who were also crazy about him and gloat!!! Ah, the thought of it makes my day!!

Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie

Refused to kiss the girls and made them cry

When the boys came out to play,

Georgie porgie, ran after them

3 comments:

sukanyav said...

Welcome to MJ,Madonna and GM fan club!My room used to be full of posters(more of Boris Becker) but i made all of them iyengars by applying thiruman to their foreheads :-) Guess this picture is GM when he was part of Wham?

Harini said...

Hey, was waiting for today to post my comment. Happy B'day GM!

Haha, thiruman on GM's foreheads is a hilarious thought. Maybe we should've done something like that. :)

PP said...

Sahi man! You lucky babe!